Pages

26 September 2010

Rupert & Rupiah

            Wondering who were Rupert and Rupiah? They were the couple turtles from Quirino province that we kept as pets for around three years. Well, they're Philippine turtles for sure.
           Initially, we had looked for a turtle for a family friend whose daughter suffers from asthma.  We were told that  turtle meat can heal the sickness.
           When we found one, however, we opted to keep it for pet out of pity for the little creature we named Rupert.  He loved to eat fried chicken, pork and grapes among others. 
           Not only once that I tried  giving him banana but I was dismayed to find out he didn't like it.  My kids were making fun of me...asking how I believed Dr. Jose Rizal's fable on "The Monkey and The Turtle".  Actually, that was what I thought then but sorry. (lol!)
           Months later, a girl turtle was given to us by another friend.  We named it Rupiah.
           Personally, I had fun giving them bath too...brushing their shell till it became shiny again. 
           Months after moving to our new little home, however, we thought of giving them up. We brought them to the Wild Life Park in Quezon City. We thought they'll be happier there afterall! 




No comments: